Michael Chalk is an adult educator specialising in language, literacy and technology; digital learning has been my focus for many years. In the last few years, my work has been to:
- develop an e-commerce site for PageTurners, the fun easy-to-read books for adult learners
- work with an international team gathering stories from people in adult learning (the ACAL-RaPaL Resilience project)
- work with Tricia Bowen and VALBEC on their project “A Fuller Sense of Self”, to video students telling their stories of developing literacy as adults
- support innovative explorations using technology in adult learning, eg iPads in the ESL classroom
- support teachers to develop learning resources across multiple platforms, eg ESL for people working on their heavy truck licence
- support teachers to develop their skills with digital learning, via ACFE Communities of Practice, and the e-mentor program
Michael has good skills across many areas:
- facilitation of group sessions, online and face-to-face, synchronous and asynchronous
- all kinds of online platforms including moodle, e-commerce (wordpress), social media
- video and audio (recording and editing)
- design of multimedia and learning resources
- design and layout for newsletters and brochures
Call on me when you need some enjoyable and productive online network facilitation, mentoring in various aspects of digital learning, or support creating resources for learning and engagement.
Currently working freelance. Has worked many years at PRACE / Preston Reservoir ACE, as a
- teacher (adult literacy and English as a second language)
- writer, editor and publisher (newsletter, web sites)
- online facilitator
- flexible learning co-ordinator.. and more.
Far distant history of this blog
Michael was conducting research for years on end, and he wanted to share some of his reading with the world. So he started this blog. The research focuses on our ‘at the beach‘ language-learning online resource.
Now he’s finished the research, his blogging attention wanders. Work-related thinking could include
- adult literacy,
- e-learning in general,
- classroom teaching practice,
- technologies in literacy learning,
- gaming for education ..
- that sort of thing
If you enjoy what i write, leave a comment and let me know