[cck08] initial connections .. on the map

So i’ve listened to some audio/video recordings, i’ve read a couple of articles, i’ve finally made it into the forum areas .. and most importantly, i’ve put myself on the map. Rodd (the Clever Sheep ..from Canada i think) set up a shared map within the google-o-sphere, and created a neat screen cast to show the rest of us how to join in. Yay Rodd. (Yes i did have to watch the video to work out how it is done.) A few fellow Australians already there, including Howard Errey, Alison Read More …

Ceres, goddess of excursions ..

Way back in February, Leigh Blackall wrote about his journey to Melbourne, and to Ceres Environmental Park. He raved about the luxury of having such a wonderful site so close to the city – and recorded a couple of interviews with the locals there. Yes Leigh, we’re lucky here in Melbourne. i’m really lucky, i can go visit Ceres any time i like, and often buy my organic vegies there. They also have a second-hand market on a Saturday morning, and let me tell you i’ve found some real bargains. Read More …

CommUnity makes you feel good

A few weeks ago, we had the 15th anniversary of Preston Reservoir Adult Community Education (PRACE). Fifteen years !! As “MC”, aiming to keep the crowd engaged, i asked who had been involved with PRACE for one year, two years, three years etc. The record holders were Kerry and Jo, at around 4-6 years. Until someone turned it back on me and asked how long i’d been working there. Twelve years, yes 12. People seem surprised, as nobody works that long in the one place any more. These days most Read More …

Pacific CALL Symposium

Michael has been invited to represent PRACE, and speak at “The First CALL” in August. Should be a terrific event, with Uschi Felix opening, and James Farmer, of edublogs.org and The Age blogs, as a keynote. The “Inaugural CALL Symposium” hosted by the Monash University English Language Centre and the Pacific CALL Association: Saturday, 18 Aug from 12 noon – 4.30 pm, Monash University, Clayton Campus. From the publicity: “CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) practitioners join global professional communities online, yet they often do not utilise the wealth of expertise Read More …

Student Blogging, (efl/esl)

Adult learners are starting to get into Self-Publishing (aka blogging). and Barbara Dieu, a Brazilian educator, has set up an Exchange for ESL students around the world. With two colleagues, she has found a way to gather and re-publish the writings of students who have blog journals in their ESL classes. (This re-publishing is known as ‘aggregation’.) The site is called Dakita (i don’t know why), and the collection of student writings you’ll find in The Orchard (or The Exchange). Worth a look, especially if you’re thinking of using blogs Read More …

Buy a computer, for ABE students

Here’s a reference guide for any students in Adult Literacy classrooms – how to navigate your way through buying a computer, a “plain English resource”. The site is based in the US, so no local shops for Australians, but it could be a good place to start for groups considering a similar activity. The group was given a task to find the best value computer for under $1000. Certainly seems a good idea for a classroom activity.

A Change of Scene

Why would anyone use technology for learning? Do we ask the right questions, when planning for community building? Recently Delia Bradshaw gave a presentation to a group of community leaders from around Australia, as part of an induction for the Adult Learning Australia e-learning Creative Community Partnerships. Delia’s presentation is stored on this site. July ’09 Addendum: Took me a while to work out a way of presenting audio, text and images on the same page, in a navigable way. So much easier these days with a slidecast, for example Read More …

Digital Storytelling in the South Grampians

Here at the Eureka! e-volutions in e-learning conference, Ballarat, Vic. an interesting presentation from the South Grampians adult education centre – who have been using digital storytelling as a way to engage their students in the 'disaffected youth' program. "Low literacy levels" are a major issue with the group, and the teachers have found the power of using images and voice to reconnect people with learning.