I wondered if there are any iPad apps that would be especially useful for people over 55, so i searched the web for “best apps for ipad for seniors“. Sure enough, there are many many lists: “16 helpful apps for seniors”, “27 bet iPad and iPhone apps for senior citizens”.
But are any of them useful.. and how many of these apps are FREE..?
Well, some of them are designed to help people by improving things like:
- Visual accessibility: Silver Surf is a web browser with “large navigation buttons, dynamic text zoom, high contrast viewing”.
- Your brain fitness: Lumosity is an app for keeping your brain fit and healthy.
- Save you typing: Dragon Dictate takes your spoken words and turns them into written text. Might not be much help if English isn’t your native language however.
- Visual access: Eye Reader lets you use your iPad as a magnifying glass for reading magazines & newspapers. Seems a bit over the top to me.. just get an actual magnifying glass! Oh, plus it’s not free, although the review i read said it was free.
- Reading: one collection recommended iBooks, perhaps because the app lets you zoom in close on text, and increase font size. This app comes on your iPad when it’s new (?)
- There are so many of these lists around. Assisted living has a fairly typical list to look at.